A+ Eligibility Requirements for High School Student
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Enter into a written agreement with your high school prior to graduation.
- Attend a designated A+ high school for 3 consecutive years immediately prior to graduation.1
- Graduate with an overall grade point average of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Have at least a 95% attendance record overall for grades 9-12.
- Perform at least 50 hours of unpaid tutoring or mentoring, of which up to 25% may include job shadowing.
- Maintain a record of good citizenship and avoid the unlawful use of drugs and/or alcohol.
- Beginning with the high school senior class of 2015, have achieved a score of proficient or advanced on the Algebra I end of course exam or a higher level DESE approved end-of-course exam in the field of mathematics.3
A+ Scholarship Reimbursement Requirements for the 2015-2016 Academic Year
The following is important information regarding A+ Scholarship funding and, temporary changes to student eligibility that are being implemented to avoid a funding shortfall in the 2015-2016 academic year. Please read this information completely and carefully.
During the past several years, the A+ Scholarship has experienced unprecedented growth and success. While positive, this success is also beginning to put substantial pressure on the funding level necessary to ensure all eligible students receive the financial assistance promised by the program.
The Missouri General Assembly approved an increase for the A+ Scholarship program of $2 million for the 2015-2016 academic year. However, even with this additional funding, MDHE believes there is substantial risk of a funding shortfall this year given the program’s growth. To mitigate this situation, the Missouri Department of Higher Education has taken action to avoid a funding shortfall while providing stable award amounts for students.
A+ participating institution’s satisfactory academic progress policy, including any grade point average requirement included in that policy, during their first academic year. After their first academic year, students must maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA to renew the scholarship.
For the 2015-2016 academic year, A+ institutions are required to verify that students who initially received the A+ Scholarship in either the summer or fall 2015 term have at least a 2.0 grade point average at the end of the fall 2015 term. Initial recipients that do not achieve at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA at the end of the fall 2015 term will not be eligible for a spring 2016 award. They may regain eligibility as a renewal student once they have achieved a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA.
For more information contact the Department of Higher Education. www.dhe.mo.gov